Characteristics of text-based blogs:
- text can be easily translated into different languages by web-based translators
- content can be read carefully or skimmed -- the pace is up to the reader
- easy to incorporate other content (hyperlinks, photos, video clips) within text-based format, making it easy for the reader to go to other sites of interest
- reader is tied to machine where blog can be read
Characteristics of podcasts:
- audio is not easily translated into other languages
- listener generally has to listen to entire podcast; hard to skip around without missing potentially interesting content
- no hyperlinking; photos or video can be included with original post, but may not be as portable as audio files
- portable; can be downloaded and listened to when/where convenient for listener
Both formats allow audience to subscribe to updates, which is convenient. Portability should not be underestimated as a positive feature.
While I'm thinking about text vs. audio, I am reminded of the Seinfeld episode (#140) where George has to read a book about risk management, and he finds he can't do it because he has gotten used to books on tape. He fails an eye exam to get a book-on-tape-for-the-blind, but he can't listen to it, because the voice sounds just like his!
In other words, there is a lot to be said for the method of delivery. Some people's voices are at their best in their writing; others are wonderful to listen to. What works best also has a lot to do with the content. I love listening to stories and other entertaining or engaging audio, particularly when the speaker is dynamic. I am grateful for .pdf files of academic papers; I'm not sure I could stay awake for academic paper podcasts.
One thing I noticed recently that AMC Theaters is doing...they let you read or listen to a synopsis of a movie. I love having both options available! So I'm doing that for you, too.......
You can listen to me read this post, or click the "Listen now" button (up at the top of the post) to hear the odiogo guy read it.
No comments:
Post a Comment