Saturday, October 4, 2008

StumbleUpon is new to me!

First, a shout-out to my brother, Kevin, who has been sending me stuff he stumbled upon (and telling me to check it out) for at least a year. It's really cool!

StumbleUpon touts itself as "the best way to discover the things you like on the web". Based on the links my brother has sent me, I just assumed this was dedicated to finding weird stuff on the web. Now I realize that's just him.

From the website:
How Does it Work? "StumbleUpon uses "thumbs-up"/"thumbs-down" ratings to form collaborative opinions on website quality. When you stumble, you will only see pages which friends and like-minded stumblers have recommended. This helps you discover great content you probably wouldn't find using a search engine."

I didn't set up my profile yet, but I do plan to, as I found this fun and easy to use. I was initially attracted to these pictures of 70 Amazing Futuristic & Crazy Computer Cases, which led me to stumble upon Free Geekery, which I wound up bookmarking, and Home Decor for Absolute Geeks, which is very entertaining.

In a different stumbling excercise, I loved Tastespotting (I think you will too, LA) so much that I would up "stumbling around" in there and answering the "lonely Boston cream cupcake looking for friendship" personal ad....

I can't wait to mess around with this some more, and I definitely recommend it just for the "fun" factor!

No comments: