Saturday, October 4, 2008

RSS & Information Overload

Did I hear Meredith Farkas correctly? Did she say she follows 170 blogs? 170???? Sheesh. It took me several hours to figure out which ones I wanted to add to my wiki page (using the fanciest FeedInformer templates available, of course).


RSS is awesome. I love being able to see whether something I am interested in has been updated. It is definitely a timesaver. I also see potential for following more than just blogs. It seems as though everywhere I look now, I'm noticing the universal symbol for feeds ()! Library catalog searches, news articles, sports scores...the list goes on. I think RSS is a great tool that can prevent information overload as long as the subscribers don't get too carried away.


Also, it turns out I've been using RSS without realizing it -- on my iGoogle home page, on my facebook account, etc. So now I feel cool that I know what it's called. I love it when I can pretend to know what I'm doing!!!

No comments: