Well, I wish I could just put Michelle's post here, but I guess that would be considered cheating. I agree with everything she said about the library catering to niche markets all along.
I do think that digitization is making it easier for libraries to provide more resources to their patrons without taking up shelf space. ListenNJ seems like a long tailed initiative, where patrons can access audiobooks without having to go to the library (and the library doesn't have to store the physical materials). I also think services like JerseyCat and WorldCat make it easier for patrons to find what they're looking for, even if it's not at their local library. These services effectively network many libraries into one large entity. While they may not have the unlimited shelf space of Amazon.com, they are certainly expanding the access to material beyond their local constituency. Having a broader audience means it is more likely that materials will be requested, even if it's only once per quarter.
I worry that as digital availability of books and other materials increases, libraries will be under pressure to decrease their physical holdings and become virtual entities (I'm thinking of Amazon again). I hope not. I know at least one book is still around in 2285, so I think we'll be okay.
Friday, October 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are so sweet LOL. You said "I worry that as digital availability of books and other materials increases, libraries will be under pressure to decrease their physical holdings and become virtual entities." I could not agree more!
Post a Comment