Monday, November 24, 2008

Ningalings

SG: What advantages/limitations do you see with using a Ning?

GC: Main advantages are ease of use and selectivity -- you can make an exclusive network "by invitation only". Main limitations are that it's another social network, and there are already plenty out there. Apparently, if you are a NKOTB fan, this is the place to be. Oh yeah, the ads are sooooo annoying (that targeted advertising again). And I think 1-member social networks are really sad.

SG: How could you use a Ning in a work environment?

GC: I don't see Ning replacing a company intranet. I do see Ning as a great way to get your branding/marketing out there, and to promote special events. I think for a library, Ning might be a terrific additional way to let people know about your branch hours or advertise for special programs. I'd like to try using Ning for an online bookclub -- it seems much more user-friendly than a lot of the wikis we test drove this semester, so users might be more likely to participate. I agree with Jen G that this really seems to hold a lot of appeal for educators, and Joyce K. Valenza's TeacherLibrarian group was the only reason I knew about Ning before I took this class....

No comments: