1) Picture your audience. They can be in their underwear if that helps. I find that I do better screencasts if I envision talking to a particular person or group. I think about what my audience would want to see, and then I show them.
2) Size your screen!! and do a runthrough. I size my screen first, then record a dry run. If I'm doing a one-off that can't be redone (like how to set up an account), I just pretend to do the steps for my first take. Then I watch it to see if everything I wanted made it into the picture (sometimes stuff gets cut off that you're not expecting) and whether I rambled or was too close to the mic for "p". I also watch for delays. Sometimes my process takes longer on the screen while I'm recording than it does when I play it back. Then I know to keep my commentary (more or less) in synch with what "really" happens. Finally, I am not an "ummmer," but I do tend to get off-topic, so my runthrough helps me identify and avoid these pitfalls.
3) Just do it. I make sure my Westminster-chiming clock is far enough away from chiming for me to do my screencast, and I just start talking to my virtual audience, demo the process, and end it. The more you do, the easier it is. Also, if you practice too much or try to make it too perfect, you can get stuck in an endless loop of rerecording, and you don't have time for that!!!
4) File name!! Amy already covered this, but do rename your files. It helps you remember what each one is about and it helps others know what they're going to be watching. You can do it before or after you upload to screencast.com.
FYI, I have been selling Jing as a great way to do quick screencasts. I have also been selling screencasting as a great way for instructors to help students know what they need to do tech-wise for a class. So if you're taking Materials for Young Adults with Jill next semester, you might be getting some screencasting homework (to watch, not to record).
Friday, December 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment