Sadly, my good intentions are paving the road to photographic hell. I am the lady on the commercial whose family is trapped inside her digital camera (or in her computer). I also have boxes and bags of photos from the past ?? years of my life and the archival boxes where they will one day be lovingly stored (in order by date or occasion or something). Until that day arrives, I have been satisfying my extended family with .jpg files attached to e-mails.
Sure, I make the occasional flickr web album,
and I also use Picasa,
but those take me almost as long to organize and post as they would if they were actual pictures in an actual album.
So, this leads me to why I immediately focused on the scrapblog link in Kathy Schrock's list of web 2.0 applications. It took me about 7 minutes to put together this lovely 1-pg. scrapblog. I used a preset template, made a few changes with the text, grabbed some photos from my computer, and voila! Here it is........
If you click the "Play" button, you'll see what happened when I selected the "Ken Burns effect" for my photo....
I could happily mess around with this all day (I won't), and I definitely will be trying this in my personal life. Like other photosharing sites, scrapblog is also a community, allowing users to comment on each other's scrapblogs, create and share new templates, etc. They also have a show called "Get Crafty," where you can see short video demos of various techniques. Fun!
How to use this in the library, you ask??
- What a great way to easily embed customized "scrapbook" pages into your library blog or website! You could include photos of programs, photos of new books or other materials nestled on their shelves, waiting to be checked out...the possibilities are endless!
- You are not limited to photos! With the pre-set templates, you can quickly make some attention-grabbing ads for upcoming events. In addition to customizable text, there are also options for including video and/or audio!
- Easy, easy, easy to use, but lots of opportunity for customization, if you have the time and/or the inclination. The embed code is right there when you save, making it simple to grab and embed in your website or blog.
- Free! :-)
p.s. - I do find it a tiny bit creepy how quickly people were viewing and commenting on my scrapblog. I enjoy crafts as much as the next person, but I get the feeling that some scrapbloggers have a lot of time on their hands...
3 comments:
Oh wow, this sounds cool. I love your idea of using it to show off past events. I can see how this would be really great to create some beautiful images to display on a webpage or blog.
It is amazing to me how every analog thing has a digital shadow...in this case scrapbooking. I can see this being very, very popular and will likely recommend it to my older sister. My friend recently came to NYC from San Francisco for a conference on...wait for it...Wine 2.0. So, evidently, anything anyone likes will one day have a digital component. Congratulations on finding something you enjoy from the ocean of stuff.
I have a good friend who used to paper scrapbooking more before she had a baby, and only took digital photos, lol. I know she misses it, so I am going to recommend this site to her! What a great find.
Post a Comment