Blogger (+):
- Super easy to set up and get started.
- Wysiwig editor and easily accessible editing of html.
- Dashboard is easy to use; tabs let you see where you are and what you're doing.
- Simple and clean layout.
- Easy to import/set up gadgets/widgets, etc.
Blogger (-):
- Limited templates to choose from. I don't have the time or the inclination to design my own.
- Only allows for listing of one IM contact in the profile setting.
WordPress (+):
- Beautiful templates! I wished I could choose more than one.
- Wysiwig editor and easily accessible editing of html.
- The html editor includes buttons for links, tags, etc., which makes this html editor better than Blogger's; also adding a link in the "visual" menu gives you the choice to add titles and targets, which is great!
- Easy to add widgets from their list (if they are not on the list, that's another story).
WordPress (-):
- They e-mailed my blog username and password!!!!!!! Aaaaargh.
- They say "howdy" when I sign in. I hate this.
- I had a little trouble adjusting to the Dashboard; it's very different from Blogger's and it took me a while to figure out what I was doing.
- Overall, the layout is very busy and there are so many choices!
- I wasted 1/2 hour trying to embed a twitter flash badge and finally had to settle for an RSS feed. For some reason, WordPress scrubs out most of the code.
- Weird formula for time that I had trouble figuring out (English major). They note that they are working on changing this.
- Snapshots of where links will take you is cool (but sometimes takes a long time to load and can be a little distracting).
For this course, I prefer Blogger. It was fast and easy to set up, and simple to use and modify. If I were going to be blogging a lot, WordPress is really pretty and has lots of bells and whistles. As a novice, I found the WordPress site to be a bit overwhelming.
I'm looking forward to hearing about other people's experiences!
2 comments:
Blogger is very simple and easy to use. But becasue of that it lacks a lot of the bells and whistles other services have. I'm not fimilar with word press but your list is really comprehensive. (And I just thought of another point for my list, LJ has spell check feature in comments, Blogger doesn't)
Gabrielle,
I also had similar findings. Blogger was much more user friendly but also more limiting. On the other hand, Wordpress was much more flexible, some many features could easily overwhelm a user.
Heather - great point about the spellcheck feature in comments :)
Danielle
Post a Comment